This is a trivial question, but it’s been bugging me, so let me get it out, okay? Why is the sequel to RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES called DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES? I mean, “dawn” suggests a beginning, right? And you can’t actually rise until you begin, right? So shouldn’t the titles of these films be reversed? Then again, that first film wasn’t really focused on the planet of the apes beginning, but on the events that eventually led to that beginning. And this newest film isn’t so much about the planet’s rise as one glimpse into how humanity loses its foothold to the newly born society of intelligent simians. But then, I guess EVENTS IMMEDIATELY PRECEDING AND HAVING A DIRECT IMPACT UPON THE DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES and ONE CHAPTER THAT WILL EVENTUALLY LEAD TO THE RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES wouldn’t quite pop on movie posters, would it? Never mind.
Hm? What did I think of the film? Oh, I loved it. No, let me clarify that: I LOVED IT. But it’s not really as simple as that, so listen in to my review for the HOUR OF THE WOLF radio show to get my take on this thoroughly entertaining summer blockbuster. Click on the player to hear the segment, or right-click the title to download.
LISTEN TO HOUR OF THE WOLF
EVERY THURSDAY AT 1:30 AM
ON WBAI 99.5FM IN NEW YORK CITY
- Spotlight Podcast 5:26 - Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (0.363)
- DARK SKIES: CFQ Spotlight Podcast 4:08 (0.359)
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes: Cinefantastique Spotlight Podcast 2:30.1 (0.287)
- Fantastic Valley News 06/11/2013 - DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES photos (0.261)
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes — Trailer (0.230)
- THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY: CFQ Spotlight Podcast 3:50 (0.230)
- Let Me In release date & photos (0.204)
- Let Me In: Review (0.204)
- Superman, The Crow & They Live: CFQ Round Table Podcast 2:14.1 (0.204)