The actual Bourne legacy is that what was always intended to be a trilogy was so successful that it compelled Universal to find some way to continue the franchise without star Matt Damon (clearly the DOCTOR WHO fix wouldn’t work here). Their solution for THE BOURNE LEGACY, the movie: Bring in Jeremy Renner as another genetically-altered super-spy, Aaron Cross, who, in the aftermath of Bourne’s antics and with Ed Norton’s high-ranking operative tracking him with the intent of ending his service with extreme prejudice, begins his own struggle for survival and legitimacy (parallels between the scenario presented and the franchise itself are purely coincidental).
Come join Cinefantastique Online’s Steve Biodrowski, Lawrence French, and Dan Persons as they explore this follow up to a unique and entertaining series of spy films. Does it promise the same gripping action and intriguing world as the Damon BOURNES? How does Tony Gilroy — who scripted the previous films and here steps into the director’s chair — fare in taking over the franchise? And is Cross going to catch hell from PETA for his capricious treatment of wolves?
Also: What’s coming to theaters next week. Quite a lot, actually.
Production Note: A recording glitch caused some skipping in the audio for this episode. Noticeable, but not annoyingly so, and not an impediment to understanding the conversation. Our apologies.
- THE BOURNE LEGACY opens August 10 (0.570)
- SKYFALL: CFQ Spotlight Podcast 3:45.1 (0.436)
- OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL & THE ABCS OF DEATH: CFQ Spotlight Podcast 4:10 (0.395)
- Dream House: : Cinefantastique Spotlight Podcast 2:38.1 (0.390)
- Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (Capsules: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo/The Dark Knight Rises Prologue): CFQ Spotlight Podcast 2:50.1 (0.372)
- Men in Black III & Chernobyl Diaries: The Cinefantastique Spotlight Podcast – 3:21 (RANDOM - 0.333)