Public Domain Pandemonium I: Lady Frankenstein; The Terror; Sita Sings the Blues – CFQ Spotlight Podcast 3:8
The universe of the genre film is filled with many strange and wonderful things: heroes; demons, attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion (oh, Roy Batty, we miss you). But nothing is so strange or, at times, wonderful as the sight of movies that, by accident or design, have fallen out of copyright and are now subject to the random winds of distribution. They’re copied and recopied, cut and redubbed, posted in versions of varying quality on YouTube, all quite legally and for absolutely no money.
In other words: You ever wonder from whence came those films on that 1000 SCI-FI CLASSICS! DVD set that you bought on Amazon for $2.99 in order to bring your $22.01 order up to the $25 needed for free shipping? Now you know.
So, in the absence of a new theatrical release this week, we here at the Cinefantastique Spotlight are debuting our first “Public Domain Pandemonium,” where each of us offers for discussion a movie readily available on the web and elsewhere. Steve Biodrowski gives us his take on giddily nude horror film LADY FRANKENSTEIN; Lawrence French talks about Roger Corman’s let’s-burn-off-Karloff’s-contract-and-these-two-remaining-days-we-have-on-the-castle-set “classic,” THE TERROR; and Dan Persons talks about the unusual, Creative Commons animated musical-fantasy, SITA SINGS THE BLUES. A trio of fun films, all available by clicking the links above. And all for free! Ya cheapskate.
Read more about Public Domain Pandemonium by clicking the links below:
- Public Domain Panic II: Haxan; Dementia 13; Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning: The Cinefantastique Spotlight Podcast – 3:24 (0.591)
- The Little Shop of Horrors: A 50th Anniversary Celebration of 1960 (0.482)
- Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (Capsule: Corman's World): CFQ Spotlight Podcast 2:49.1 (0.354)
- Cinefantastique Spotlight Podcast #11: Source Code (0.333)
- Scream 4: Cinefantastique Spotlight Podcast #13 (0.333)
- Tales of Terror: A CFQ 50th Anniversary Spotlight Podcast - 3:10 (RANDOM - 0.333)