Thus far, it’s seemed that the film was moving forward to begin shooting in February, 2011 for a 2012 premiere. The studio was apparently pleased with the revised script by Damon Lindelof (LOST) [ of the Jon Spaihts original] , with a budget set, and even soundstages booked and pre-production FX work underway.
Script Flags was first to carry the news of the push back to 2013 and 2014 for the two parts, respectively. I must caution that I haven’t seen any official response from the studio on this postponement.
So what are the possible hold-ups? Changes to the 20th Century Fox’s over-all schedule? A long-post production period forseen? Second thoughts on the script?
Hard to say, though there have been previous rumblings that Fox brass didn’t see eye-to-eye with Ridley Scott on budgeting for the two-part prequel (presumably resolved), and that it was pushing for a softer approach that would avoid getting an R or the deadly NC-17 rating (an open question).
No casting for the film has been announced as yet, though Noomi Rapace (THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATOO) and Olivia Wilde (TRON: LEGACY) are said to be in the running to play the female lead.
- Scott's 'Alien Prequel' Now 'Prometheus' (0.771)
- Damon Lindelof To Rewrite ALIEN Prequel (0.507)
- Ridley Scott Onboard 'Blade Runner' Redux (0.495)
- 'Alien' Prequel NOT Delayed? (0.435)
- Fox Tweets: ALL the 'Alien' Rumors Bogus (0.421)
- New 'Prometheus' Teaser (0.353)
- Here’s What’s Going On: 06/05/2013 Video News Update (0.269)
- Prometheus & Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted: The Cinefantastique Spotlight Podcast – 3:23 (0.261)
- STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS: CFQ Spotlight Podcast 4:20 (0.202)