Once again the horror genre proves itself to be critic-proof as Samuel Bayer’s remake of A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET is sitting atop the weekend box office with a respectable $32.2 million. The film currently holds a ‘rotten’ 15% rating at Rotten Tomatoes but that didn’t stop it from storming the box office and fending off other high-profile releases.
Rounding off the top three were two films with surprisingly strong staying power; HOW TO TRAIN YOUR earned another $10.8 million at second place and DATE NIGHT came in third with $7.6 million. Jennifer Lopez’ tax paying vehicle, THE BACK-UP PLAN, went from second place to forth with $7.2 million whilst new entry, FURRY VENGEANCE, couldn’t even muster up $7 million (it earned only $6.5). Seems the lure of Brendan Fraser being hit in the testicles by animals wasn’t enough for cinema-goers.
As for the last five, THE LOSERS came in at 6th, CLASH OF THE TITANS went down to 7th, KICK-ASS was 8th, DEATH AT A FUNERAL 8th and OCEANS, the new Disney sea documentary, rounds off the list at 10th. In related news, IRON MAN 2 was released on the other side of the pond and has already managed to drum up over $100 million.
These box office stats. come courtesy of Box Office Mojo.
- Iron Man 2 (2010) (0.447)
- Iron Man 2: Cinefantastique Horror, Fantasy & Science Fiction Podcast, 1:13 (0.447)
- Of Superheroes and Predators: John Debney Returns to Sci-Fi (0.447)
- Summer Wrap-Up: Cinefantastique Podcast 1:30 (0.447)
- Laserblast, September 28: Iron Man 2, King Kong & Fangoria FrightFest (0.447)